Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Search: "Obama"

Michelle Obama on a cover of People Magazine 

I thought it would be interesting to search "Obama" on people.com. People.com is the homepage to People magazine, a popular magazine read by Americans. So, what were the results you may ask? http://search.people.com/TIISearch/people/search/search.html?search=obama&bu=&searchSubmit.x=0&searchSubmit.y=0

1) Michelle Obama appeared in my search opposed to President Obama
2) The first news story that came up in reference to the First Lady was "Guess who'll be at The White House Superbowl party?"
3) These are the People covers that she has been seen on: http://search.people.com/TIISearch/people/search/search.html?search=obama&type=covers&sortBy=CDATEDESC

While I understand that this is not a political magazine, I am still somewhat surprised about these findings (particularly that President Obama's name did not come up in response to "Obama")

4 comments:

  1. Well it makes sense that the first lady is in a soft news periodical as opposed to the President. I think I would be more nervous if you searched the New York Times and Michelle Obama came up more often than Mr. Obama did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to see if those searches held true for other presidents. I would venture a guess that Clinton may have been more "people" worthy than Obama. What about JFK?

    It probably says more about Obama than People.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the post says, People magazine is not a political magazine, nor does it pretend to be. In fact, I think I would lose at least a little bit of respect for any president that showed up in people magazine. People might actually be one of the few media outlets that still is what it says it is: "The #1 Celeberity Site for Breaking News."

    It is interesting to note, however, that the magazine is implying that the First Lady falls under the category of "celebrity."

    ReplyDelete